Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Snow

I have to admit, when I arrived in the Netherlands, just before Christmas, I arrived basically in the eye of a snow storm. And it basically took out most forms of transportation. But, it did snow quite a bit, to Dutch standards. Probably like a good 20cm/8inch, in very little time (the plane landed while it was maybe 4 inch, after taxing and waiting for an available gate, it doubled that.) Which meant, I was going nowhere that day.

Now, just last week, it snowed here in Georgia too. It started in the afternoon, and somewhere late in the evening, more snow had fallen than usually in a whole year!
...
It was a good 7cm/3inch:

I completely took out traffic. (Now, 3 days later, there's no snow left, even in the shadows :(     )

How it reminds me of when I lived in Lake Forest, IL. The snow knee deep, the piles along the parking lots more than man-high, and traffic just continued going...

PS. I heard The Netherlands has ran out of salt?! hmmm, next time only 2cm/1 inch of snow falls, it will take out traffic completely again too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment