Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday the 13th

It's an odd day, Friday the 13th. Many people fear it, but I also know 1 person who claims it's his lucky day (right, brother?)
And for me, well, the sun couldn't have shined brighter today.

Let me get you up to speed:
When you buy a car here in the states, you get a temporary license plate. That gives you time to get everything arranged properly. In my case, the plate was valid until November 15th. But the thing was, the dealer told me I needed a Georgia Driving license to get the final plate. Oh, and I needed prove of residence, which, here in the states, is often your driving license, or your tax return form, or some other document which you get like once a year if you're a permanent resident,... etc. Or, a recent bank statement.
And to get a driving license, well, you need .... you guessed it, the same stuff. And being foreign, I would need to take a full driving exam, written and on the road.

So,... I changed my address with the bank, waited until the bank statement to arrive,... and waited.... and waited....
Until finally today I had my bank statement in my hands. The last workday before my temporary tag expired, and still without GA Driving License.
But, in the mean time, I had gone to the tag office of my county (where you get your license plate) and asked if I really needed a GA license. They told me no. So, with the prove of residence in hand, I went of to the dealer (who was supposed to take care of the registration, which could take up to 10 days...).

Only to hear again that I really needed a GA license... :S
It's Friday the 13th I thought, so, sure, today will be the day that proves the day is to be feared....

Anyway. We agreed that I would take care of the tag (the license plate) myself.
So, with all the documents, off to the tag-office...

Where they looked at me in an odd way, (did you know a dutch passport has everything only in dutch on there ;) ), but after a little, they told me this county is the ONLY county in Georgia where you DON'T need a GA license. And went ahead with processing the request. 20 minutes later, I walked out the door with my new license plate in hand (no 10 days for processing or anything), still not sure how Friday the 13th turned into such a lucky day...

Yes brother, I think you are right. Friday the 13th IS a good day. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment