Sunday, October 11, 2009

It takes a car to get one

2 weeks in, and you won't believe the hassles I need to get through.
You know, the plan was simple enough, get a phone, open a bank account, get a car with insurance, find a place to stay, build up some credit score.
But well, things don't always go as you plan them.

It all started with getting a cellphone, the first item on the list, how hard can it be to get a number, right? Well: First question: What's you're Georgia driving license #? Err, I don't have one... can I use my dutch one? Well, no. but, actually, that wasn't a real issue, they could do without. They'd just check my credit score, or, well, try to,... as I don't have a credit score! But that was easy to fix,... with a $500 deposit!!! For like a $50/month contract! :-S

Next thing on the list: Open a bank account.
Well, without a permanent US residency, they need you to fill out this form,... which ofcourse they didn't have available at the branch office. So they'll send it to me, which means: that it will take at least another 2 weeks before I can open an account...
The account which I intended to use to make it easy to pay for the car.

Anyway, I still went online to look for a car (as I don't have a credit score, insurance on a new car would be terrible expensive, so I'm looking to buy from a private party). But, all the interesting cars, by the time I can find someone to drive me there, the cars have been sold already! It really takes a car to get one, by having the freedom to go there the moment it comes online.

Anyway, with a rental, I think I might have solved that this weekend. I think I might have found a car, but about that, more later.

PS. as you might have guessed, I haven't even really pursued housing yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment